Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Bureaucracy (in)action

I wrote a note to the Mayor of Boston one morning in June:

DATE/TIME:6/13/2008 9:38:41 PM

SUBJECT:cycling in Boston

MESSAGE:Mayor Menino,

I appreciate the focus you've brought to cycling in the City of Boston, and I applaud what efforts you've made to make the city more friendly for cyclists. As an every day rider myself, I would suggest that the best thing you can do for cyclists is to enforce traffic laws. Many people I know who say they would like to ride their bicycles to work won't do so, because they're frightened by our traffic. Drivers run lights, fail to signal and generally flout the traffic laws anyway they want. I have never seen a driver receiving a moving violation in the City of Boston. Never. I believe that reining in Boston's renegade drivers would do a lot, not only to improve conditions for cyclists, but also for visitors to our city.

Anything you can do would be appreciated.
PunkRockBicycleRobot (not how I really signed it)

I received a reply today:

Dear Mr. Robot:

Thank you for emailing Mayor Menino. This email is to confirm we received your message. I will forward your concerns to the appropriate personnel.

Sincerely,
Disinterested City Employee (not her real name)
Interim Communications Aide

So, wow! It took three months to get a form letter back from the city, essentially telling me that they got my note and will now forward it off into space, someday to see it collide with an errant comet or other piece of space debris.

No comments: