Friday, November 7, 2008

Cars fucking suck

My wife's car blew a head gasket. Total system meltdown. Smoke pouring out from under the hood. Other drivers turning to stare. Foul smells. A tow truck. A week without wheels. Kids to deliver to daycare. A job to go to. $2000 to fix it.

And so, I was mostly off the bike this week, except when using it to get to my parents' or sister-in-law's houses to pick up their cars to shuttle my family around.

If I began the week loathing the hulking masses of glass and steel that clutter our roadways, I've finished the week wholly convinced of their obsolescence. Not only are they ugly, obese and smog-belching, but they also cost too much and take too long to fix. Completely impractical.

Not only has our familial automotive catastrophe cost me valuable cycling time, but the large wad of liquid asset necessary to bring us back from the vehicular dead will seriously impinge on my ability to build up the pristine Surly Cross-Check I'm working on in the basement, thus deferring still more cycling-derived joy.

Today, Friday, I am back on two wheels. And grateful for it. Even in the rain.

No comments: