Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Blow Me!

Many people think that Chicago is called the Windy City because of the stiff (I couldn't resist) breeze blowing in off the lake. In fact, it got that name because of all the hot air the local politicians blow. In reality, Boston is the windiest big city in America, and it's been particularly windy lately.

Last week, as I was coming down along the river to work I noticed that there were waves on the river. This, in and of itself, is not extraordinary. What was odd is that the waves were rolling back up the river, against the current. As you can imagine, that kind of wind will keep you from getting where you want to go.

When I left work last night the wind was howling. I rode over the river, and discovered large waves again. This time moving horizontally across the surface and breaking on the bank. I skipped the long, flat Mass Ave bridge, and rode up to Harvard Square to come across at a narrower point. As it was, I couldn't seem to get my nose out of the wind. Every time I turned I expected the headwind to die, but it wouldn't. I cursed and spit into it.

Then this morning the weatherman was calling for 20-30mph winds, and it was already cold, so I figured I was going to freeze my ass off on the way in, but instead, I seemed to have it at my back all the way. Go figure.

No comments: